Our clients had lived in an existing house on the site for several years before they approached us to design a new house. The house had to fit into the existing neighbourhood and the established garden. And importantly the brief from the clients had a very strong emphasis on environmental sustainability.
The design of the house incorporates:
- room layout to maximise sun in the winter
- large eaves to control summer sun
- high levels of insulation
- high level windows for natural ventilation
- solar hot water panels
- the use of natural materials and finishes
The clients are also developing a separate grey and black waste water system, collecting rainwater and have included an underfloor hot water heating system heated by a combination of solar panels, wet back from the wood burner and electrical back up.